CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1086721
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086721 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 06:44:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Copeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Arlecdon and Frizington
National Grid Reference:
NY 05220 19864

Details

NY 01 NE ARLECDON & FRIZINGTON

6/2 Church of St Michael

G.V. II

Parish Church, founded C12. Restored 1776; nave rebuilt 1829. Remodelled, and tower added, c1904 (date on rainwater heads). East end and north side of chancel ashlar on plinth, rest rough-dressed snecked rubble. Stepped buttressing to tower; blocking courses to nave and chancel (castellated in part). Graduated slate roofs with stone coping and apex cross to east end. West tower with baptistry, nave, chancel, and north chapel. 3-stage castellated tower has perpendicular detailing, including traceried west window and paired belfry openings. Polygonal baptistry on south side; 4-centred head to porch door on right. 3 lancets with hoodmoulds to each side of nave. 3 stepped lancets under continuous hoodmould to east end. Paired lancets to north chapel. Interior: Plastered nave with painted frieze; king-post roof trusses with Gothic panelling to sides. Pointed chancel arch c1630 rebuilt with parts of original C12 arch visible. Narrow chancel has blocked (C17?) door on south side. Painted, carved stone Gothic reredos. Painted, carved stone polygonal pulpit. Font in babistry has large octagonal bowl dated 1578. C19 stained glass in nave by various artists. Stained glass panels re-used in east windows of various dates up to early C19, with some possibly C16.

Listing NGR: NY0522019864

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76097
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02679/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Thurgood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].