CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1086797
Date first listed:
05-Mar-1990
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND THE HOLY ANGELS, LA12 7NY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086797.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Aug-2020 at 08:12:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND THE HOLY ANGELS, LA12 7NY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Pennington
National Grid Reference:
SD 26289 77422

Details

SD 27 NE, 16/102

PENNINGTON, Church of St Michael

II

Church. 1826 incorporating re-set Norman tympanum; aspe and roof, 1926. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. 4-bay nave with west tower and east apse. Nave has 2-light straight-headed windows with Decorated tracery. Porch has parapet and gablet with shields, pointed entrance with moulded arch. Inner entrance has re-set Norman tympanum with figure of Christ with raised hands and runic inscription recording Gamel the patron and Hubert the mason. Tower has diagonal buttresses and 2-light west window with transom; straight-headed bell-openings with slate louvres; embattled parapet. Lean-to vestry to north. Canted apse has high parapet with inscription; 5-light east window has segmental-pointed head, flanking buttresses; south gabled organ loft has 3-light window. INTERIOR has collar and tie-beam trusses with struts. Shallow corbelled chancel arch. Oil lamps on brackets. Octagonal font in goblet form. Tower has C19 text boards. Octagonal pulpit to junction with organ loft. Chancel has recesses with shouldered lintels and arcaded chancel rail. C12 fragments in porch.

Listing NGR: SD2628977422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75876
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08088/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles M. O'Connell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].