CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1086801
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL, LA12 0TA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086801.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:05:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL, LA12 0TA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Urswick
National Grid Reference:
SD 26844 74191

Details

SD 27 SE, 19/110

URSWICK, GREAT URSWICK, Church of St Mary and St Michael

25.3.70

I

Church. West tower C13, upper stage Perpendicular; chancel C13, lengthened C14; nave C14; vestry C14. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Tower has pointed west entrance with 3-light, Perpendicular window above and C15 Pieta in niche; 3-light straight-headed louvred bell-openings; coped embattled parapet. 4-bay nave has gabled south porch with round-arched entrance, the inner door has relief panels dated 1909; quatrefoil above porch; 2-light Decorated windows with hood mould and stops and 2-light single- chamfered-mullioned window. North elevation has 2-light straight-headed windows with pointed lights. Chancel has coped gable and cross, 3-light east window has transom and flowing tracery; to south a lancet and 2-light window with flowing tracery flank pointed entrance; to north a 2-light Perpendicular window and vestry gabled to each and west with 2-light windows. South elevation has attached headstones of C18 and early C19.

INTERIOR: Roof 1598 (dated tie beam with initials) king posts with arch braces and struts, butt purlins to north. West gallery 1828 on Tuscan columns paired in depth. C19 font and medieval font with rich cover dated 1921. Tower entrance has door made from decorative fragments. C18 3-decker pulpit and reconstructed pew to south side. Unchamfered chancel arch has niches to jambs and rood beam with angel supporters to cross and 2 saints, by A. Millar of Guild of Handicrafts, 1910. Also by Guild the richly decorated organ case, east panelling and reredos with C18 Last Supper, stalls, vestry door, south door, pulpit tester and credence table, etc. Chancel also has pillar piscina, squint and C18 brass floor plates and C13 grave slab. Nave has C19 and C20 stained glass; chancel has C19 and medieval armorial stained glass and fragments.

Listing NGR: SD2683874189

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75884
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08088/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles M. O'Connell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].