This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1086818

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Broughton West

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75822

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 2087 BROUGHTON WEST CHURCH STREET (south side) Broughton-in-Furness

23/51 Church of St Mary Magdalene

25.3.70

G.V. II

Church. Medieval south aisle, formerly nave and chancel, with C12 south entrance. C16 and Cl9 alterations; single-vessel nave and chancel, 1874; south-west tower, 1900. C19 alterations and extensions by Paley and Austin. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and bands; and slate roofs, sill courses and coped gables. Nave has 2 round-headed double-chamfered windows to west end; shallow weathered buttresses, 2 paired windows and single window to north elevation; 3-bay chancel has larger buttresses, 2 with half-round upper parts. 3 round-headed windows and rose window to chancel east end. South aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window; south elevation has 4 round-headed windows and C16 eastern window of 3 pointed lights. Gabled south parch has open timber frame on stone base; inner opening is C12, of 2 orders with nookshafts and water leaf capitals. Tower has broad clasping buttresses and corbel table supporting coped parapet with east and west gablets. Round-headed windows and louvred bell openings. Interior has 5-bay arcade on round piers with plain and waterleaf capitals. Nave roof has coupled rafters and enriched kingpost trusses. Low wall to chancel; pulpit has blind tracery panels stalls have turned balusters and relief panels; open tracery panels to lectern. Sanctuary has wainscotting and reredos with relief panels and cresting. Aisle has restored piscina, goblet form font with moulded base and shaft; collar and tie-beam roof. Round-headed tower door with tympanum. C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SD2093287385

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 20932 87385

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 03:55:44.

End of official listing