CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1086874
Date first listed:
21-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, A685

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 04:06:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, A685

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Grayrigg
National Grid Reference:
SD 57860 97176

Details

SD 59 NE GRAYRIGG A685 (North side)

7/79 Church of St John

II

Church. 1837 with tower of 1869. By George Webster. Stone rubble with slobbered mortar, roughcast to south facade, ashlar dressings and slate roof; tower of dressed stone and ashlar. Nave, west tower and east apse. 5-bay nave has weathered buttresses and diagonal buttresses. Lancet windows have splayed reveals. Gabled south porch has pointed entrance and datestone: 1837. Coped gables with fleuron finials. Gabled apse has flanking lancets and 3 stepped lancets. Tower has diagonal buttresses. 3 stepped lancets under hoodmould to west face, with 2 lancets in 2-bay applied arcade above. Bell stage has sill course to 2-light louvred plate-tracery bell openings with hoodmoulds and head stops. String course with gargoyles and stepped embattled parapet. Interior: ceiling has braced beams, pendants, and 3 traceried roses. Tower arch has traceried glazed screen and flanking diagonal -buttresses; small octagonal font. Windows to east end have hoods with head stops, apparently in form of plaster casts of faces. Splayed arch to apse has roll moulding and shafts. East window has stained glass dated 1892. Pulpit has open cusped arches.

Listing NGR: SD5786097176

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75661
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16769/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].