Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 17:48:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Lakeland (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SD 30250 97569


CONISTON SD 39 NW Church of St Andrew 5/79 25.3.70 II

Church. 1819. Chancel, vestry, organ loft and porches, 1891 by J. Matson. Slate with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Nave with west tower, chancel with north vestry and south organ loft. 4-bay nave has coped gables. Elliptical- headed windows with hoodmoulds and 2-light timber frames with leaded glazing. Tower has west lancet with hoodmould; string course, and paired stone-louvred bell openings with no dressings, with 3-face clock below; top cornice and embattled parapet. Flanking porches have embattled parapets; entrances have 4-centred heads and 2-light square-headed windows; cast iron rainwater heads. Chancel, vestry and organ loft have weathered bases, coped gables and quoins. Chancel has 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery on sill band, and single traceried light to south. Vestry is roughcast with lateral stack and 2-light north window with transom; west entrance. Organ loft has 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: King and queen post trusses with decorative bracing and tracery. West gallery of 1891 has turned posts, false 4-centred arches, balustrade with deep cornice and early C19 painted royal arms. Baptistry under tower has stained glass window by Kempe, 1893; alabaster octagonal font. Chancel arch has roll mould. Chancel has arches to vestry and organ loft and panelled east wall and reredos with blind tracery.

Listing NGR: SD3025097569


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12366/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].