This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HILL TOP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HILL TOP

List entry Number: 1087304

Location

HILL TOP, B 5285

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Claife

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76724

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAIFE B5285 (South side) SD 39 NE Near Sawrey 6/49 Hill Top 25.3.70 GV II*

House, now museum, with farmhouse attached. C17 or early C18 with mid to late C18 alterations and 1906 addition for Beatrix Potter. Roughcast stone with slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays, the 1st bay projects under gable with pentice over ground floor and datestone reading: "1906/HBP". Windows are sashed with glazing bars, those to 1st bay and 1st floor of 2nd bay have horns. Plain entrance to 1st bay; entrance to 3rd bay has gabled slate slab porch and 6-fielded-panel door. Cross-axial stack and gable-end stack. Right return has small casement window. Rear has projecting stair wing with gabled projecting wing to right. Stair window has wooden cross-casement with leaded glazing tied back to iron bars. Gable-end stack to stair wing. Interior: Hall has panelling and fielded-panelled cupboard doors. Fireplace has C19 range. Parlour has C18 panelling with fluted flat pilasters and bed cupboard and pantry. Early C19 white and coloured marble fireplace. Staircase has column balusters, fluted square newels and ramped handrail. 1st floor has wide-board door; fireplace inscribed: "WHB/1934", C17 stone fireplace. C17 back stair. Hill Top was bought by Beatrix Potter in 1906 and was used by her as an occasional retreat and for her writing. She illustrated the house in many of her books, principally 'The Tale of Tom Kitten', 1907, 'The Tale of Samuel Whiskers', 1908, and 'The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck', 1908. She left the farm to The National Trust.

Listing NGR: SD3700995563

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Potter, B, The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, (1908)
Potter, B, The Tale of Tom Kitten, (1908)
Potter, B, The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck, (1908)

National Grid Reference: SD 37009 95563

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 06:38:50.

End of official listing