This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1087334



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Beetham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76597

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



454/9/49 MILL LANE 01-JUL-74 BEETHAM (East,off) Heron Corn Mill and attached Mill Race


Water-powered corn mill, with attached grain dryer and water supply mechanism and launder. Late C18 or earlier, remodelled and enlarged C19, restored as a museum in 1975. Rubble stone, slobbered, with a slate roof laid to diminishing courses. PLAN: L-shaped complex with main mill range aligned parallel to the River Bela, and ancillary range at right angles to the north-west. EXTERIOR: River frontage to south-east with dressed stone plinth and semi circular arch-headed double doorway to lower level. 3 multi-pane upper floor windows with flat-arched heads. Wide south-east gable with timber launder leading from sluice gates with rack and pinion mechanisms. Narrow extension to north-west incorporates corn drying kiln with roof louvre. Single bay north-east elevation with a C20 window frame to each floor and a board door. INTERIOR: The restoration of the mill interior was completed in 1975, and contains a Lowder stone frame on the stone floor and complete associated machinery, driven by a 14ft overshot water wheel. Line shafting in the attic powers the sack hoist which raises grain to the highest part of the building, to be delivered by gravity onto the 4 pairs of millstones below. The roof structure is supported on trusses with curved knee braces to the principles. HISTORY: The mill site is thought to have had medieval origins, rights to erect and run a corn mill having been granted to the Canons of Coningshead in 1220. The present mill operated until 1955. A water-powered corn mill on a mill site established in 1220 and operated until 1955, with a complete and working interior, including a rare survival of a Lowder frame.

Listing NGR: SD4962179969

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 49621 79969


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 04:52:45.

End of official listing