CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1087482
Date first listed:
01-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087482.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 01:13:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Beaumont
National Grid Reference:
NY 37244 58040

Details

NY 35 NE BEAUMONT Grinsdale

6/13 Church of St Kentigern 1/5/57 II

Church. On medieval site, present church mentioned in 1703, restorations of 1740 and 1896. Cement render on chamfered plinth, graduated greenslate roof with coped gables, kneelers and cross finial. Small square 2-storey west tower, 3-bay nave, single-bay chancel. Tower has ground-floor slit vents, bell chamber has louvred vents in segmental red sandstone arch. Battlemented parapet with merlons. Nave has wooden south porch and door of 1896, leaded-pane windows in nave and chancel in segmental red sandstone arch. External aedicule wall plaque to John Forster, died 1819. Interior has C19 marble wall plaques, one to Flora Steel by George Nelson of Carlisle; painted wooden panel of Royal Arms on west wall of nave.

Listing NGR: NY3724458040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78198
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07821/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Sinclair. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].