CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1087518

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1992

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087518 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 00:59:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle (District Authority)

Parish: Nicholforest

National Grid Reference: NY 45476 77948

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 47 NE NICHOLFOREST

152-0/8/10000 Church of St. Nicholas II

Parish church. 1866-7 by Alexander Graham. Snecked rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof in blue and purple bands with some shaped slates and with a crested tile ridge. Comprises a nave with a lower chancel which has an apsidal east end, and a north transept which has a lean-to vestry in the angle with the chancel. The west wall has 2 chamfered lancets below a rose window. The north and south nave walls each have 3 windows of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil below a pointed head and have buttresses between bays. On the south side there is an open timber porch to the right of the left-hand window. It rests on a stone base and has a steep roof. The entrance is formed by a gable truss with curved braces rising to a collar which supports a turned king post and has shaped bargeboards. The north gable of the transept has a window of 3 trefoiled lights below a foiled circle. The apsidal east end has 5 windows with bar tracery, each with a quatrefoil above a trefoil-headed light. On the south side of the chancel there is a 2-light window which almost matches those to the nave. Above the western bay of the nave there is a timber bellcote, painted white, and boarded below the trefoiled bell openings. It supports a slated spirelet. Interior: the nave and chancel have softwood boarded roofs. The nave roof has high collars with bolted king posts, straight braces, and wall posts rising from stone corbels. The transept arch is pointed and chamfered, and the chancel arch is chamfered in 2 orders, the inner order springing from foliated corbels. The chancel has a frieze of tiles at the wallhead, and a plain stone doorway leading to the vestry. The hexagonal pulpit is of oak. In the transept there are mural tablets in memory of John Ewart (d.1871) and James Mounsey (d.1835). The west windows and some of the north windows contain coloured glass. The chancel windows contain stained glass depicting Christ and the four Evangelists.

Listing NGR: NY4547677948

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 78185

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing