- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ASKERTON CASTLE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087531.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 19:22:14.
- Statutory Address:
- ASKERTON CASTLE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Carlisle (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
NY 56 NE ASKERTON
26/24 Askerton Castle 1.4.57 G.V. I
House, formerly Castle. Early C14 with C15 alterations; late C15 and early C16 additions for Thomas, Lord Dacre, with further additions of late C16; C19 alterations by Anthony Salvin and 1922 alterations by Edmond Warre. Large blocks of calciferous sandstone rubble on projecting plinth stones; graduated sandstone slate roof, flat lead roofs on towers, ashlar chimney stacks. 3-storey, 4-bay, C14 former tower house (now gabled) with flanking 4-storey, single-bay late C15 or early C16 towers; early C16 curtain wall enclosing courtyard to rear, C16 hall and barrack block in L-shape within courtyard. Central block has C20 door in chamfered surround with C20 pointed arch. Ground floor 2-light chamfered mullioned windows with hood moulds are C19 replacements. 2 original C16 3-light chamfered mullioned windows above; a third similar window to right is C19. 2 small square attic windows flank 2 two-light mullioned windows of 1922. Rear wall has blocked courtyard entrance; small chamfered-surround windows on various levels, some with iron grilles. Interior has C15 roof timbers. Tower to right has C19 ground floor window, smaller original windows above. Top courses of stonework project irregularly and may be rebuilt. Projecting battlemented parapet to both towers. Tower to left is set back with garderobe in the angle. Corbelled-out firebreast at first floor level. Parapet has early C16 stone inscribed T.D. (Thomas Dacre). Interior has garderobe on each level; windows between the adjoining hall and tower suggest hall is of later date; floor levels altered in 1922. Curtain wall forms outer wall of adjoining hall and barrack block. Hall has ground floor stone-mullioned windows of 1922; upper floor chamfered-surround windows are probably C16. End wall has 3-light window with trefoil heads. Slit vents to left light garderobes. Interior has fireplace with inscription Thomas Carleton Junior 1576 (land serjeant); blocked door and stairs in thickness of end wall suggest a third tower and parapet walk around curtain wall; C16 roof timbers, tie-beams, kingposts with two-way braces and queenstruts. Barrack block has small C16 chamfered-surround windows on various levels, some with iron grilles and slit vents for garderobes. Wall to courtyard has 1922 windows, converted from later use as stables. Interior has 2 C16 fireplaces between modern floor levels. Curtain wall continues to enclose courtyard and has C19 rebuilt segmental arch. Blocked C16 window to left, suggests a porter's lodge with slight remains of steps to parapet walk. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xxiv, pp149-155.
Listing NGR: NY5503569262
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 24, (), 149-155
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing