- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- NAWORTH CASTLE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087643.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2020 at 17:30:28.
- Statutory Address:
- NAWORTH CASTLE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Carlisle (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 55995 62585
NY 56 SE BRAMPTON NAWORTH
11/58 Naworth Castle
Castle and seat of the Earls of Carlisle. Probably late C13, first mentioned in 1323 (V.C.H. Cumberland p.255), licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602 (date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844. Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney stacks. Formerly: tower house (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all altered c1520 and 1602; Morpeth Tower added to hall, 1845; C18 & C19 west and south range with Stanley Tower of 1881. East range living quarters of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has flanking 3 storey, one bay towers, with battlemented parapets to each. Small square headed mullioned windows with square leaded panes: large and small round headed mullioned windows to courtyard, have diamond leaded panes. South curtain wall has large C16 pointed arch, with recessed chamfered surround and large iron studded gates, giving access to large open courtyard; arms of Lord William Howard above. North range has external but engaged, Morpeth Tower of 2 storeys, 2 bays: hall of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has raised courtyard entrance, with carved stone panel of Dacre arms above. Square 2-light and round headed 3-light mullioned windows have diamond leaded panes. Battlemented parapet and 1982 slate roof, replacing 1845 lead (grant aided by Historic Buildings Council). West range, 3 storeys, 6 bays, is of similar details, formerly kitchens and servants'quarters, now let as flats. Interior has wood panelled library and other panelled rooms by C.J. Ferguson, with painted gesso overmantel panel of The Battle of Flodden by Burne-Jones and Sir E. Boehm, 1882. Hall gutted by fire 1844, but retains large C16 fireplace with segmental head: wooden hammer beam roof by Salvin 1845. Lord William Howard's tower is supported on ribbed arches crossing the angle of the north-east walls. Lord William's chamber has timber ceiling, c1350, from Kirkoswald Castle, with moulded beams and bosses and panels filled with flowing tracery. The oratory contains part of a screen from Lanercost Priory with crocketed ogee panels and a German painting dated 1514, representing the Flagellation, Crucifixion and Resurrection. Dacre Tower has ground floor iron yett. See, Transactions, Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, iv, p.486-509; Country Life, 25 March 1911, p.414-22.
Listing NGR: NY5600762609
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Cumberland, (1901), 255
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1911), 414-22
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 4, (), 486-509
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing