MORTUARY CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1087757
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1983
Statutory Address:
MORTUARY CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORTUARY CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 06:29:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
MORTUARY CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Cuthbert Without
National Grid Reference:
NY 43425 49217

Details

ST CUTHBERT WITHOUT WREAY NY 44 NY 11/29 Mortuary Chapel II

Chapel to adjoining cemetery. Circa 1835 by Sarah Losh. Dressed calciferous sandstone, stone-slate roof. Single storey and one bay: built as a reconstructed copy of St Perran's Oratory found at Perranzabuloe, Cornwall in 1835, in drifting sand dunes and thought at the time to be the earliest Christian church in the country. Approximately 1O metres long by 6 metres broad and 4 metres high. Entrances in east and south walls have round-headed arches with roll-mouldings and spingers of carved heads with lion's head in key position (these were not on St Perran's Oratory, but were added by Miss Losh). Single window in south wall has roll-moulding surround with round-head and diamond leaded casement: window in east wall is a round-headed splayed lancet. Iron-studded oak plank doors with slit vents. Projecting purlins to gables with slates carried over. Interior has stone wall seats. Now used as a store shed for the Sexton's Cottage nearby.

Listing NGR: NY4342549217

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
77609
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08710/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Sinclair. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].