CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1087996
Date first listed:
15-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087996.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:34:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
Parish:
Tintwistle
National Grid Reference:
SK 02182 97236

Details

SK 09 NW PARISH OF TINTWISTLE CHURCH STREET 4/25 (South Side) Christ Church GV II

Church. 1837. Coursed gritstone and gritstone ashlar. Slate roofs. Nave with projecting tower and flanking porches at the west end and lower chancel with north vestry. The chancel and vestry are a slightly later addition. Tall lancet windows with Y tracery, five to north and south side of nave divided by buttresses with two set-offs. West tower with angle buttresses, Y-traceried west window with one transom, tall single lancet bell openings and four pinnacles. The east window also has a transom. The west porches fill the angles between the tower and nave. They have doorways to each face with four-centred arches and labels. Gothic panelled doors. The interior is still in the tradition of the Georgian 'preaching box'. Raked gallery on three sides supported on cast iron columns. Gallery fronts with gothic tracery set within square 'classical' panels. Complete box pews. Stained glass by Mayer & Co Ltd of Munich and London, in the east window 1874, north aisle east window 1895 and in the second window from the east on the south side. South east upper window 1922 by C E Kempe.

Listing NGR: SK0218297236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82169
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/06050/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].