CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1088200
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088200.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:03:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Baslow and Bubnell
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 25180 72331

Details

PARISH OF BASLOW & BUBNELL CHURCH LANE SK 27 SE (South Side) 3/18 Church of St Anne 12.7.67 GV II*

Parish church. C13, C15, restoration 1852-3 by Paxton and Stokes, chancel rebuilt in 1911. Coursed sandstone and sandstone ashlar. Roofs hidden behind crenellated parapets. North west steeple, clerestoried nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and south vestry. C13 tower now standing at the west end of the north aisle. Two stages divided by a chamfer. Angle buttresses. Blind to north, with a square clock face dated 1759. To the west a pair of trefoiled lancets and a single lancet above. To the south partly engaged by the nave and with a single chamfered doorway. On the east face is the gable line of the former nave roof and a circular clock face inscribed VICTORIA 1897. Stone broach spire with 2-light gabled lucarnes low down and small single light lucarnes above. Weathervane. North aisle of two bays with C19 gothic 2-light windows with bar tracery. At the east end a buttress of two set-offs. 2-light east window with C19 bar tracery. Tall chancel rebuilt in 1911. Windows with bar tracery. Two 2-lights to the north and one similar to south, and a 3-light to the east. Hoodmoulds with headstops. Low buttresses with two set-offs. The south aisle has a 2-light west window with Dec tracery. To the south, gabled porch with plain double chamfered entrance and flanking buttresses. To the right a single light and a 2-light window both flat arched and deeply set with cusped ogee lights. The south vestry to the east continues the line of the aisle and has a similar 2-light window and a plainly chamfered priests doorway. 2-light window with bar tracery to the east. The west window of the nave is of 3-lights and Cl9. The nave clerestory has three windows to north and four to south, all flat-arched with two cusped arched lights with short mullions rising from the apex of the arch. Two similar clerestory windows on the south side of the chancel. Battlements and crocketed pinnacles to nave, chancel and aisles. Interior: Moulded and filleted south doorway with studded oak door. Stone seats in the porch and C15 roof with moulded and chamfered beams. Re-set in the west wall is a grave cover with floriated cross and other fragments. Three bay arcades with circular piers (one octagonal pier to north) and polygonal responds. Moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. C19 double chamfered tower arch, the inner order on moulded polygonal capitals and polyganal responds. Two bay chancel south arcade with octagonal pier and polygonal responds. Moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. C19 marble pulpit with carved quatrefoil with the Lamb of God. Entered from the nave and by steps up through a doorway in the north aisle. Plain octagonal font. Early C20 chancel furnishings including choir stalls, clergy desks, communion rails etc. Good Dec style screen with cornice and parapet. Brass eagle lectern. C19 stained glass in most windows, the best in the West Window of c1859, possibly by Wailes. At west end of the north aisle are benefaction boards.

Listing NGR: SK2518072331

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
81583
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/02665/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].