CHURCH OF ST DAVID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1088677
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
ST DAVID'S CHURCH, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088677.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:39:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST DAVID'S CHURCH, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Moreton-in-Marsh
National Grid Reference:
SP 20608 32235

Details

1. 5224 CHURCH STREET (north side)

CHURCH OF ST DAVID SP 2032 SE 2/34

II GV

2. Practically rebuilt in 1858 as a hall church of 3 naves in Decorated style. Tower 1861 (see tablet in tower). Architects: Poulton and Woodman of Reading. The old vestry (now kitchen) of 1790 was retained. 1892 chancel and south aisle extended by E H Lingen Barker. Golden Ashlar with tiled roofs. Five bay church, 3 bay chancel with flanking vestry and chapel; muscular west tower of 4 stages (door, window, clock and belfry) with chamfered set-offs and with stepped corner buttresses becoming set-back at base because of the set-offs; chamfered corners with crockets; Gothic parapet with corner pinnacles. Stone octagonal spire with lucarnes. Stair- turret to south-east with trefoil-headed door. Interior: font and pulpit also 'muscular', about 1860; chancel screen 1910 by Bligh Bond. East windows of aisles and all chancel windows stained (east window by Lavers and Westlake 1858). Vestry door has good iron-work. Two marble memorials on West wall (1887 and 1845).

Listing NGR: SP2060832235

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
126644
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02507/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].