FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL, BY METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1088703
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL, BY METHODIST CHAPEL, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL, BY METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088703.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 00:57:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER SUNDAY SCHOOL, BY METHODIST CHAPEL, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Deerhurst
National Grid Reference:
SO8589627615

Details

SO 82 NE DEERHURST SCHOOL LANE, Lower Apperley (north side) 3/62 Former Sunday School, by Methodist Chapel II Former Moravian, later Methodist Chapel, now store. 1750 for Moravian Brethren. Flemish bond brickwork, tiled roof. Two- window front, single storey. Gable to road, circular window high up; right return central, boarded door, flat, rubbed brick head. Either side 2-light mullion and transom window, cambered brick arch; dentil eaves course. Congregation gathered following George Whitefield's preaching, probably with use of a building by 1747; became Moravian soon after, for whom present building erected 1750. Leased to Methodists early C19, as chapel, bought by them 1846. Became Sunday School when new chapel built 1901, and adjoining cottage rebuilt (neither of special interest). One of very few surviving Moravian chapels in Gloucestershire. (A. Dallimore, George Whitefield, Vol II, 1980; C.F. Stell, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, 1986)

Listing NGR: SO8589627615

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
126603
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986)
Dallimore, A , George Whitefield, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/14904/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Steve Davis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].