MILTON CHANTRY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1089047
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
MILTON CHANTRY, COMMERCIAL PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILTON CHANTRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089047 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:11:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILTON CHANTRY, COMMERCIAL PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Gravesham (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 65254 74338

Details

1. 5277 COMMERCIAL PLACE (East Side) Milton Chantry TQ 6574 SW 2/13 23.1.52.

II*

2. The property of Gravesend Corporation. The Chantry chapel is all that remains of the leper hospital of Milton which was founded by Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, about 1322. This was converted into a dwelling at the Reformation and became a public house called the New Tavern in the C18. It was restored in 1852 and 1862 and again recently. The east wall is of flints. The remainder of the exterior has been rebuilt or encased in brown brick in the C19. Tiled roof. Restored window of Early English type in the east wall. C17 chimneystack. The interior contains a C14 arch-braced roof on the 1st floor and a stone fireplace with blank spandrels. Similar C14 arch-braced roof on the 2nd floor. There are the remains of a cross-wing 3 bays with Queen post roof.

Listing NGR: TQ6525474338

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356342
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13759/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].