CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1089119
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089119.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:07:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stapleford
National Grid Reference:
TL 31192 16863

Details

STAPLEFORD CHURCH LANE TL 31 NW (South side) Stapleford 4/114 Church of St. Mary 24.11.66 the Virgin - II*

Parish church. Mid C12 with later medieval alterations. Restored and enlarged 1874 at expense of Abel Smith of Woodhall Park (q.v. Watton- at-Stone Civil Parish). Flint rubble, cement rendered with stone dressings, stock brick buttresses. Weatherboarded tower stage to leaded timber spire. Tiled roofs. Originally a 3 bay nave with narrower and shorter chancel. Nave lengthened by 1 bay, S vestry, N transept, porch and tower added all in C19. Chancel E end: C19 3 light window, rectilinear tracery, moulded pointed arch, hood mould with mask stops, 2 stage C19 diagonal buttresses, bargeboards. Chancel to N has a restored C13 lancet and a C19 Gothic panelled door with a hood mould. Nave has bargeboards to taller E gable. N transept: gable end 2 light window with traceried head, 4 centred arch with hood mould. Quatrefoil above with date 1874. 2 stage diagonal buttresses, plinth, bargeboards. E return has a Gothic panelled door with hood mould. Further W and projecting from nave in angle with transept is C19 entrance porch surmounted by tower. Inside porch is early knapped flint walling with C12 round arched door surround, 2 orders, inner colonnettes with foliate capitals, moulded bases, triple horizontal zigzag on arch, outer voussoirs have vertical zigzag. Outer entrance to porch has pointed arch, moulded hood mould. To left steps up to a plank door to stair turret with an upper slit opening. To right a 3 stage diagonal buttress. Lancet in return to W. Cornice to weatherboarded upper stage of tower with a leaded light to N, broaches to octagonal head and timber belfry. Octagonal spire has zigzag patterning, weathervane finial. 2 stage buttress at original W end of nave, a C19 square headed light in added bay. W end C19 3 light window with rectilinear tracery, upper cusped diamond, 3 stage diagonal buttresses, plinth, bargeboards. Nave to S has 3 windows, that to centre a single C19 light replacing C12 door, lower jambs of which are visible with mass dial. Towards E end is a C15 window, 2 cinquefoiled lights with curvilinear tracery, 4 centred arched head with hoodmould, this window copied in C19 towards W end. 2 stage buttresses to right of door and at original W end. Slight thickening of wall for rood stairs with a slit light at E end of nave S wall, 2 stage buttress. Extending from chancel to S is large lower vestry. Gable end 3 light traceried window, angle buttresses, lancets in returns, blocked to E. Door to E with a 4 centred arched head with square hood mould. Interior: C16 2 centred chancel arch, double chamfered with moulded caps at springings. C13 lancet in a deep embrasure from chancel S wall to vestry. C19 double chamfered pointed arch from nave to N transept. Nave SE angle has chamfered 4 centred arched headed opening to rood stairs with upper opening with chamfered jambs. C15 or early C16 crown post roof in nave, extended to W in C19, octagonal crown posts with caps and bases, 4 way braces, stop chamfered tie beams, ovolo moulded wall plates. Late C18 vase baluster font with swags on bowl. Early C18 stone memorial to Rev D Williams removed from churchyard to nave S wall, arms in relief. Nave SE window has fragments of C15 glass at head, elsewhere early C20 glass. 1919 sanctuary panelling and communion rails. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3119216863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356222
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05150/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].