CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1089162
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089162.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:58:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bramfield
National Grid Reference:
TL 29134 15592

Details

BRAMFIELD MAIN ROAD TL 21 NE (West side) Bramfield 3/17 Church of St. Andrew 24.11.66 - II

Parish church. Late C14 origins. Nave rebuilt, tower and porch added in 1840. Restored, vestry and organ bay added in 1870 by C.B. Trollope. Flint rubble chancel, otherwise stock brick, cement rendered. Tiled roofs. Retains medieval nave and chancel plan, tower to W, porch to S, vestry and organ bay to NE. 3 light E window with restored reticulated tracery, pointed arched head with hood mould, tile coursing at sill level. Blocked brick arched opening at ground level. Moulded rendered gable parapet with kneelers. 2 stage diagonal buttresses. Chancel S elevation has 2 C15 2 light square headed windows, cinquefoiled lights, outer hollow moulding, blocked priest's door, sprocket eaves. Taller nave with projecting closed S porch: moulded Tudor arch with mask stopped hood mould, vertical panelled door, moulded and coped gable parapet, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, 4 light square headed windows in porch returns. Flanking porch are 2 light 4 centred arched windows, cinquefoiled lights with upper quatrefoils, hood moulds, 2 stage diagonal buttresses. Similar windows and buttresses to N. Coped gable parapet with kneelers to nave W end. W tower of 2 short stages. To W a panelled door in moulded Tudor arch, cusped spandrels to square head, mask stopped hood moulds. Second stage vertical louvred lights with plain lugged architraves, diamond panels with inner circles for clocks, trefoil ornament. 3 stage angle buttresses. Cornice to embattled parapet with steps up to centre on 3 sides over louvred belfry openings. Octagonal splay-footed spire. Separately roofed vestry/organ bay to N of chancel has steps up to N entrance with moulded Tudor arched surround, diagonal buttresses, 2 light windows in gable ends with kneelers to coped gable parapets. Interior: C14 piscina in chancel S wall at raised floor level, trefoiled arch, hollow moulded with stopped hood mould, credence shelf. C19 triple pointed and chamfered tower arches. Tower converted to octagonal baptistery in 1870, circular stem and octagonal bowl to font. Timber chancel arch, braced tie beam with moulded drops. Dado moulding on nave and chancel walls. Moulded C19 tie beams and struts in nave roof. From chancel to organ bay a 4 centred arch, door to vestry. Monuments: chancel N wall, cartouche with epitaph to George Lord Viscount Grandison, d.1699, carved in Baroque style with arms above. Chancel S wall a copy of this, more crudely executed, to Rev E. Bourchier, d. 1775, also a simple marble slab with base and cornice to Rev E. Bourchier, d.1785. C17 chest in vestry with 3 panelled front. Organ by H. Jones of Fulham Road with Gothic carving and painted pipes. E window late C19 stained glass. According to Matthew Paris Bramfield was the first benifice of St. Thomas S Becket. (The Builder, vol.28, 1851, Nov.26, 1870, p.951: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL2913415592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356122
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'The Builder' in The Builder, , Vol. 28, (1851)
'The Builder' in 26 November, (1870), 951
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05150/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].