This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1089762



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Longborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130244

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LONGBOROUGH LONGBOROUGH VILLAGE SP 1729 8/131 Church of St. James 25.8.60 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, C13, early C14, C15. Sezincote Chapel added by C. R. Cockerell 1822-3, general restoration 1884. Coursed squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof. Plan: chancel with vestry on north, nave with south transept and projecting porch on west, west tower. C12 chancel; diagonal buttresses to south wall, C12 corbel table with billet decoration, continuous string below windows. Two C19 two-light windows with quatrefoils and stopped hoods either side of C19 plank door within basket-headed surround. String runs down vertically either side of door. Decorated 2-light east window. Headstone to Mary Merril, died 1664 set against wall, lower left. North wall; two 2-light windows as on south, one either side of C19 vestry, two battered carved heads, either side of window towards east end. Patterned glazing to all nave windows. East wall of vestry; C19 plank door with decorative hinges within a pointed-arched surround with stopped hood left. Part of hood with carved head stop right. Blocked single light window with round head and fragment of medieval grave slab, decorated with raised cross, right. 2 other moulded stones one an unfinished hood mould in same wall. 2-light C19 north window with tracery, stopped hood and patterned glazing. Diagonal buttresses and clamp buttresses to Sezincote Chapel. Various 2-light C19 windows with tracery on all 3 sides. String below windows and embattlemented parapet. C19 plank door to projecting west porch with hollow-moulded 'Tudor'-arched surround flanked by engaged columns, simple raised decoration on stone lintel over. Buttressed nave north wall with, two 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and stopped hoods. String below windows. Blocked round-headed north door left with round-arched hood. C13 west tower with clasping buttresses and C15 third stage, pointed slit light in west face, 2-light belfry windows with octagonal columns with moulded octagonal capitals dividing lights and stopped hoods. Fine embattlemented parapet with 8 crocketed finials. String below with 8 winged gargoyles. Nave south wall; 3- light window with cinquefoil headed lights, simplified Perpendicular tracery and stopped hood left of porch. Porch; pointed double-chamfered arched entrance with eroded head stops to hood, niche above doorway with ogee arched head, mass dial right of entrance. Solid stone bench seats along side walls within porch. Simple C19 timber roof. C19 double doors with decorative hinges within C12 round-arched surround flanked by engaged columns with raised foliate type decoration. Lower half of former image niche above. C14 south transept with embattlemented parapet, offset diagonal corner buttresses and intervening buttresses. Fine 5- light south window, 3-light east window, two 3-light west windows, all C14 with reticulated tracery. Roof; flat and slightly stepped gable-end coping, upright cross finials on porch and south transept. C14 square stone bellcote open on 4 sides, upper margin embattlemented with carved faces at each corner, pyramidal roof with crocketed decoration. Interior: C19 pointed chancel arch with 3 composite piers. Chancel: Early English roll-moulded string below windows, pointed reused former chancel arch of 2 orders with hood and engaged columns either side and scalloped capitals in north wall, blocked by organ and C19 door to vestry. Aumbry in north wall towards east end, projecting image bracket in east wall, trefoil headed piscina low down in south wall towards east end. Blocked lancet over priest's door in south wall. Nave; wide C19 pointed-arched opening to Sezincote Chapel, with panelled stone parapet above general level of nave. Pointed arch with flat-chamfered respond and moulded arch to south transept. Blocked segmental-pointed arch to north door. Segmental headed arch over south door. C19 double doors with scroll-moulded stopped hood to west door. South transept; C14 reredos, in east wall adjacent to nave within pointed-arched surround. Reredos comprises 3 cinquefoil headed niches with crocketed ogee arch over each, projecting flat- chamfered image plinths within each niche. Miniature embattlemented parapet with incised arrow slits on each merlon except below reredos where carved with 4-leafed flowers. Solid stone seats below east window and window opposite. Simple C19 timber trusses with spine beam to nave. Simple C19 braced rafter roof to chancel. C20 arched-braced roof to south transept. Proof with decorative cusping to Sezincote Chapel. Flag flooring to nave and chancel small area of medieval encaustic tiling around base of pulpit bearing Boteler and Sudeley arms. Fittings; fine early C14 octagonal font, adjacent to south doorway, niche within each face of supporting column with crocketed decoration at apex. 4-leafed flower decoration on each face of font. C19 pulpit with blind trefoil decoration and pierced arches at top, C19 pews and choir stalls. C19 wooden altar. Simple C19 timber trusses with spine beam to nave. Monuments: monument to John Scott, died 1795 of Banks Fee (q.v.), white marble on grey background with urn and heraldic shield by Ricketts of Bath. 2 wooden benefaction boards, black with gold lettering one recording an endowment by Mr Thomas Baker of / Addlestrap/ dated 1701 the other an endowment from Mrs Elizabeth Scott of Banks Fee dated 1838 . Plaque over south door recording the reopening of the church after restoration of the tower nave and south aisle and the installation of new seats by Edmund Temple Godman of Banks Fee 1884. Recumbent ledger in floor of nave near pulpit to Charles Shuckburgh died 1720 and his son. Tomb of knight; C15 base with earlier life-size effigy on top, in south-east corner of south transept, blind ogee arches with crocketed decoration and engaged finials around base, life-size figure of knight in skirt with almost crossed legs, dog at feet, sword at side and head on pillow, supported by 2 finely carved winged angels, above. Ledger in floor beside tomb to Elizabeth Leigh, died 1694, daughter of William Leigh. Highly ornate canopied chest tomb in south-west corner to William Leigh died 1631 and his wife Elizabeth, died 1664. Life size figures of William and his wife recumbent on tomb with effigies of 2 children and an infant. Figures of 2 sons kneeling at prayer desk and 3 daughters, also kneeling on side of tomb. 4 black marble inscription plaques set into panelled stone screen forming backdrop to tomb. Central panel surrounded by raised scroll work. Flat- roofed highly ornate canopy supported by 5 black marble columns with Ionic capitals. Sezincote Chapel; monument left of north window to Harriet, Lady Cockerell (nee Rushout) widow of Sir Charles Cockerell, died 1851, white marble with crocketed gable. Monument right of window to Cecilia Rushout Rushout died 1869, marble with central panel with carved figure of man, draped sarcophagus in background, crocketed ogee arch over. Monument to Sir Charles Cockerell (q.v.Sezincote House) died 1837 on east wall. Canted limestone canopy with crocketed pinnacles and coat of arms with motto / SAPERE ET FARI / at bottom, female figure kneeling at bust of Sir Charles with female figure ascending in background below. Monument by Sir R. Westmacott. Glass: fragments of reused medieval stained glass in tracery of west windows of south transept. Two medallions of painted Flemish glass in east window one representing the return of the prodigal son the other the presentation at the temple. 2 stained glass windows in south wall of nave dated 1894, stained glass in Sezincote Chapel dated 1902. History: in C14 the church belonged to the Abbot and Convent of Hailes. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP1791129746

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 17906 29747


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 03:16:19.

End of official listing