CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089794.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 11:39:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cotswold (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 22062 29068
EVENLODE EVENLODE VILLAGE
SP 22 NW
4/110 Church of St. Edward
Anglican parish church. C12, C14, C19 vestry and porch, general
restoration by J.E.K. Cutts 1879. Coursed squared and dressed
limestone and sandstone. Stone slate roof. Plan: nave with
vestry on north, and south aisle, projecting porch from west end of
south aisle, west tower, chancel. C14 Chancel south wall; C19 two
small 2-light pointed-arched windows with quatrefoils and stopped
hoods, central C19 plank door with decorative hinges in moulded
surround with stopped hood. Fragment of reused dogtooth ornament
in wall right of priest's door. 3-light pointed C19 east window
with tracery. Buttressed nave north wall; 2 pointed C19 two-light
with tracery and stopped hoods. Flat-chamfered surround of
blocked north doorway below right-hand window. Original lancet
window with restored head towards west end with flat-chamfered
surround. 3 stage Perpendicular west tower with diagonal
buttresses and strings between stages. Upper part of 2-light
Perpendicular west window with cinquefoil headed lights and
quatrefoil, carved spandrels and stopped hood. Rectangular C19
plank door within heavy-pegged surround below. Flat-chamfered
slit stair lights towards corner of south face. 2-light window
with reticulated tracery and stopped hood to first stage on south.
C19-C20 clock above. Single light with trefoil head above 2-light
belfry windows with trefoil heads, quatrefoil and stopped hoods on
all 4 sides of third stage with limestone louvres. Embattlemented
parapet. Nave south wall; 2-light, C15 pointed-arched window
with stopped hood right of tower, square ashlar chimney with
octagonal capping to lean-to boiler house against west wall of
south aisle. Diagonal buttresses to C14 south aisle. C14, two-
light window right of porch with cinquefoil-headed lights,
quatrefoil and stopped hood. C19 pointed-arched 2-light window
right with quatrefoil and stopped hood. Projecting stone water
spout at east end. Buttressed C19 porch. C20 plank door within
segmental-pointed surround with stopped hood to porch. Stone
bench seats along side walls within porch, flag floor. Double C19
plank doors with decorative hinges within original moulded pointed-
arched surround with stopped hood. Niche above door with roll-
moulded surround, cinquefoil headed arch set back within niche.
Roof; flat and slightly stepped gable-end coping with upright
cross finials on roll-cross saddles on east end of nave, chancel
and porch. Roll-cross saddles on gable ends of south aisle.
Interior: Plastered. Pointed 2 order chancel arch, (rebuilt C14
reusing parts of former C12 arch) chevron decoration around outer
order. Piers with engaged columns and scalloped capitals of
different design. Two C19 pointed arches with diamond shaped
piers to C19 vestry on left. Segmental-pointed arch to C19
priest's door and aumbry in south wall. Pointed flat-chamfered
arch to west tower. 2-bay nave arcade with diamond shaped piers
and double-chamfered arches. Aumbry in south wall of nave.
South aisle; stone steps from south aisle formerly to rood loft.
Segmental stone piscina projects from window ledge right of altar.
C14 single plain stone slab sedile right of piscina. Depressions
for miniature games of 9 men's morris carved into stone window
ledge above. C19 chancel roof comprising collar with bracing
forming semi-circle below. Nave roof as chancel but with bracing
to principal rafters only and spine beam, bosses where bracing of
principal rafters meets spine beam. South aisle; simple C19 roof
with collar and straight bracing. Coloured tile floor to chancel;
C20 red and black floor tiles to nave. Octagonal font with
quatrefoil panels on faces, floral bosses alternating with shields,
one with 2 ragged staves set upright on chamfered undercutting.
C19 upright cupboard with fielded 2 panel door. C19 panelling to
waist height around nave. Fine C14 oak pulpit in north west
corner with blind tracery and carved heads. South aisle; C19
benefaction board at west end of south aisle. C19 white on black
marble monuments at base of tower. Fragment of medieval window
glass in quatrefoil of window adjacent to porch. (V.C.H.
Worcestershire Vol. III p 348 (1913) and David Verey, The Buildings
of England, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds (1979).
Listing NGR: SP2206229068
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 348
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing