Lower Swell War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1089867
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
B4068, Lower Swell

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lower Swell War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 23:09:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
B4068, Lower Swell

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Swell
National Grid Reference:
SP1737625528

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, by Sir Edwin Lutyens with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Lower Swell War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principle reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architect: by the nationally renowned architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944), who designed extant 58 memorials at home and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall; * Group value: with Rosemary Cottage, and the adjoining wall and conduit head, both Grade II-listed.

History

It is assumed that Lutyens was commissioned via Mark Fenwick, for whom Lutyens undertook work at his nearby house, Abbotswood, in the early 1900s. The memorial was unveiled on 31 July 1921 by Colonel Brooke DSO of the Grenadier Guards. The addition of ‘S’ to the final line of the dedication on the memorial (IN THE GREAT WARS) shows the many and various ways in which people sought to modify memorials to include the fallen of the Second World War

Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.

Details

The memorial, on a small green at the heart of the village, takes the form of a flaming, bulbous, urn standing atop a square pedestal in limestone ashlar set on shallow base of three steps. The pedestal is inscribed:

(south-west): IN MEMORY/ OF/ THE MEN OF/ NETHER SWELL/ WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WARS

(south-east): MCM/ XIV/ MCM/ XIX/ MCMXXXIX/ MCMXLV

(north-east): (NAMES)

(north-west): MCM/ XIV/ MCM/ XIX/ MCMXXXIX/ MCMXLV



This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2015

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129996
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Skelton, T, Gliddon, G, Lutyens and the Great War, (2008), 80, 83, 172
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 10 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/103069
War Memorials Register, accessed 10 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20995

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05303/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Innes G. Inglis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].