This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1090771



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Quedgeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131823

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/161 Church of St. James



Parish church. C14; heavily restored and rebuilt 1857 by H.Woodyer; further alterations c1890 by S.Gambier-Parry. Limestone ashlar; stone slate roof. Nave with north aisle and south chapel; south tower and porch; north organ transept and vestry; chancel. Moulded pointed-arched C14 south doorway to tower with plank door; C19 timber framed south porch with pointed-arched doorway, flanked by leaded lancets continuing to sides; ashlar base walls. Broach spire to 2-stage tower with single diagonal offset buttress; square stair turret to west with diagonal set shouldered-arched tower stair doorway having plank door; chamfered square openings to tower above string course; 2- light lancet belfry openings with stone louvres; 4 small lucarnes to spire. Diagonal offset buttresses to east end of south chapel with 2-light Decorated window to south and gabled east end, both with quatrefoil tracery. C19 restored buttressed and parapet gabled west end with re-set medieval carved grotesque mounted on valley parapet; 3-light west nave window and 2-light to north aisle, both with Decorated tracery. Diagonal offset corner buttresses at ends of C19 north aisle with moulded pointed-arched north doorway and plank door; square-headed aisle windows with fluid Decorated tracery; 3-light to left of door, 2-light to right. Gable end of organ transept flush with north aisle has 2- light window; vestry to left has lean-to roof from chancel and transept. C19 three-light east window with reticulated tracery; 3 windows in south chancel wall all of different designs; externally projecting squint from south chapel to left with coped top. Restored interior with plastered walls. Several orders to chamfered arch between tower and nave; similar archway between south chapel and tower; lower pointed arch between south chapel and nave; nave wagon roof with reused timbers. Arcade to north aisle of 3 bays in late C13 style with round columns having moulded capitals and bases; 4-bay scissor and collar-braced trussed aisle roof. Timber panelled barrel roof to south chapel with carved bosses and coats of arms. C19 chancel arch; squints to left and right, both Cl9, that to left used as access to organ with 2-light opening to north aisle; paired shouldered-arched opening between chancel and organ chamber with slender central columnm is addition by Gambier-Parry; tiled steps to altar, with carved reredos which is reproduction of Last Supper; timber panelled chancel roof. C16 carved hexagonal timber pulpit front on C19 stone base. Cl9 octagonal stone font below tower with coloured stone inlay; contains cylindrical lead font. Cl9 choir stalls and pews. Baroque memorial on south chapel wall with scrolled pediment above twisted Ionic columns; bolection moulded inscription panel inscribed in Latin to 'Gulielmi Hayward' died 1684; pedimented memorial on east chapel wall to Margaret Berrow, died 1717; memorial with shrouded urn over to FRANCIS HAYWARD, died 1787; memorials to many other members of Berrow, Hayward and Curtis Hayward families in south chapel. Memorial tablet in tower, reset over south doorway inscribed in crude capitals to RYCHARD BEROW, died 1562. On south nave wall memorial with 2 urns on obelisk ground inscribed to THO: HAYWARD, died 1781. Small memorial brass on south chancel wall engraved in Gothic script to Frideswide and Mary Porter, dated 1532. West window has stained glass by Kempe; fragments of medieval glass in south chapel window; other stained glass is mostly early C20. Picturesque effect of church is reinforced by Woodyer's rebuilding. (K. Morgan, 'Quedgeley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp.215-224; D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1976.)

Listing NGR: SO8071614182

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972), 215-224
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 80716 14182


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1090771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 03:43:37.

End of official listing