- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- GATCOMBE PARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091099.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Sep-2020 at 18:51:33.
- Statutory Address:
- GATCOMBE PARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stroud (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 88094 99410
ST 89 NE MINCHINHAMPTON GATCOMBE PARK
7/246 Gatcombe Park
Large country house. 1771-4 by Francis Franklin of Chalford for Edward Sheppard; c1820 remodelling with additions by George Basevi for David Ricardo M.P. Ashlar limestone, coursed dressed limestone to rear; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two- storey with attic central block, double pile plan; flanking single-storey wings, west linked by curved conservatory to summer house. Front: symmetrical fenestration arranged 2:3:2. Outer parts of facade have 12-pane ground floor sashes, 9-pane above, all in plain openings. Central pedimented break forward with tetrastyle portico to ground floor, central doorway having glazed doors, flanked by narrow 8-pane sashes. Sides of portico have open balustrade, stone approach steps flanked by urns with gadrooned spiral-fluting. Open balustrade panels to parapet above portico, central upper floor round arched sash flanked by narrow 6- pane sashes; uncarved block projection in central pediment tympanum. Plain upper floor bands. Moulded cornice with parapet having open balustrade panels. Hipped roof with 3 flat roofed dormers, ridge-mounted chimneys with moulded caps, those on return sections of roof much larger. Flanking bow-fronted wings have 3 glazed doorways to each, moulded cornice and parapets with open balustrade panels. Long curved conservatory to west having central glazed clerestorey. Two 12-pane sashes to summer house in formerly open round arches. Moulded cornice with parapet having central Jacobean-style shaped gable with octagonal clock-face. Lead cupola to small bellcote behind. Rear: 7-window sash fenestration, generally 12-pane to ground floor, 9-pane above. Central round-arched stair sash. Interior: not inspected but described from NMR photographs. Central stair hall with screen of 2 Doric columns in antis; dentil enriched cornices. Cantilevered open well staircase with shaped undersides of treads, stick balusters and wreathed handrail terminals. Various fine early C19 fireplaces. Library in east wing has bookcases designed by Basevi. The early C19 work by Basevi was formerly thought to consist of some internal work, additional wings and summer house. More likely that a thorough rebuilding took place leaving little of Edward Sheppard's house. Contemporary (1820) stables to east (q.v.) and pyramid monument in landscaped grounds to south (q.v.). (Set of photographs including interior in NMR. R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957; N. M. Herbert, 'Minchinhampton' in V.C.H Glos. xi, pp.184-207; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: ST8809499410
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 184-207
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing