This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1091814



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134915

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SP 0632-0732, 13/129





Former tithe barn, now village hall. Circa 1370 for Tewkesbury Abbey; restored 1927 by Sir P. Stott for the Earl of Wemyss. Coursed rubble masonry, stone slate roof. Seven-bay barn, central porch on north side. North side, away from churchyard; gabled porch, double, boarded doors, chamfered arris, cambered timber lintel. On right wall extends into buttress, that on left has been removed. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex, grotesque finial. Left return to porch arched , boarded doorway. Either side porch 2 square-set buttresses in barn wall, angled buttress corners, parapet gables, apices as porch. Left return slit air vent in gable. Interior: concrete floor: stage left end, walls rendered to part height. Base cruck trusses, arch braces to collar, square-set purlin above, held by blocking pieces above collar. Principal rafters over with collar, trapping purlin: curved wind braces to upper and square-set purlin: lower purlin on base crucks. Originally with 2 square holes per bay as air vents, near buttresses, probably left by scaffolding. Ancient Monument Glos. No 352. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970; E. Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, 1979; Lord Neidpath, Stanway House, 1984)

Listing NGR: SP0603332403

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mercer, E, English Vernacular Houses, (1975)
Neidpath, Lord , Stanway House, (1984)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 06037 32401


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091814 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 02:22:16.

End of official listing