- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091840 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:42:35.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 07997 36192
BUCKLAND BUCKLAND VILLAGE
SP 03 NE
(formerly listed as part of
4.7.60 Rectory including Stables)
Rectory. Circa 1480, altered C17, mid C19, 1932 by Detmar Blow.
Stone approaching ashlar; east end cross wing random rubble,
Flemish garden-wall bond brick to single-storey end; stone slate
roof; Welsh slate to single-storey. Two-bay central hall with
cross passage, crosswing right, single-storey wing beyond; on left
2 room block in line with hall, narrow parallel wing behind.
Entrance front: plinth; two 2-light mullion and transom windows
to hall, plain chamfer. To left, 4-centred arch to doorway,
boarded double doors with cover strips, mid C19 two-light and 3-
light mullion and transom windows, hoodmoulds. First floor 2-light
mullioned window in stone oriel above door, 2-light mullioned
window to left. Parapet gable on left, stone gable chimney;
gabled dormer with 2-light casement, chimney from eaves, 2 similar
dormers. To right of hall cross wing projects, no plinth, 2-light
mullioned window left-return, 3-light gable, 2-light off-centre
above. Two chimneys from eaves right return: brick wing on right.
Garden front: plinth, two 2-light tall mullion and transom windows
to hall, hollow chamfer, trefoil heads to lights. Series of square
holes at mid level across facade; 4-centred head to doorway on
right, half-glazed door. Above, blocked window slightly to left,
chimney from eaves. Narrow parallel wing projects on right, close-
studded truss in gable: jamb of former door on corner. Plinth
steps up right end: various blocked slits and windows, vertical
joint in wall; 3-light mullioned window above left with trefoil
heads; parapet gable right end with stone cross on apex. To left
of hall projecting cross wing, no plinth, 3-light wooden mullion
and transom window, flat, stone voussoired head. Three light
mullioned window above; 4-pane window right return. On left brick
wing set back.
Interior: 2-bay great hall, stone-paved floor slightly higher than
ends, plastered walls, lined as ashlar to north. Shutters to
windows, original on west. C15 stained glass in top of west
windows, including rebus of William Grafton, rector 1466-1483. No
fireplace. Jettied close-studded timber-framed wall to south,
hollow chamfer to joists below (also in passage beyond), moulded
jetty bressumer and tie beams; framing in 2 tiers, numbered.
Moulded eaves, hammer-beam truss, curved braces, applied angels; 2
pairs purlins, curved wind braces. Six-panel doors to passage (in
2 tiers), 4-centred arches, leaf carving in spandrels. Room on
left end entrance panelled shutters, mid C19 stone fireplace
surround with quatrefoils to corners, sunk panelled jambs;
panelled casing to ceiling beam. Dining room in cross wing,
fielded-panelled shutters, window seats, fireplace surround cut
back in C19. Spiral stone stairs from passage on south of hall,
casement moulding to door at head of stairs. Two-bay main room
adjoining hall, bolection-moulded surround to fireplace, fielded-
panels adjoining cupboard door, moulded cornice, inserted main beam
to ceiling (C17). Two-panel doors to rooms to south, subdivided
c1700 from one room. Attics, chamfered rafters, collar, queen
struts and curved braces to truss over main room, 2 pairs purlins
with wind braces: roof simplified slightly to south. Belonged to
Gloucester Abbey until Dissolution: original building survives as
hall and section to south: foundations of continuation at same
width as hall to north found below later floors. Cross wing
probably C17, west half rebuilt C19.
(S. Lysons, A Collection of Gloucestershire Antiquities, 1804; D.
Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970)
Listing NGR: SP0799736192
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Lysons, S, A Collection of Gloucestershire Antiquities, (1804)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing