REMAINS OF THE PRIORY OF ST DENYS IN THE BACK GARDENS OF NOS 1 AND 2

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1091999
Date first listed:
09-Sep-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Oct-1981
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF THE PRIORY OF ST DENYS IN THE BACK GARDENS OF NOS 1 AND 2, 1 AND 2, PRIORY AVENUE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091999.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2020 at 17:20:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF THE PRIORY OF ST DENYS IN THE BACK GARDENS OF NOS 1 AND 2, 1 AND 2, PRIORY AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Southampton (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SU4360714151

Details

1. 5239 SU 41 SW 10/204 9.9.54

PRIORY AVENUE St Denys

Remains of the Priory of St Denys in the back gardens of Nos 1 and 2 (formerly listed under Priory Avenue Portswood).

II

2. The Priory of St Denys was founded by Henry I for Austin Canons about 1124. Rebuilt after destruction by the French in 1338 during the raid on Southampton. Dissolved in 1536. All that remains is a C14 section of a wall of stone rubble about 25 feet in length by 20 feet in height with a pointed archway in it. Scheduled as an ancient monument. (See also Bugle Street, Archway of St Denys Priory in the grounds of Tudor House Museum and St Denys Road, Church of St Denys).

Listing NGR: SU4360714151

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135897
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/11017/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Defferd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].