THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1092062
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1969
Statutory Address:
THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON PUBLIC HOUSE, BUGLE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092062.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 10:15:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON PUBLIC HOUSE, BUGLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Southampton (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 41883 11200

Details

1. BUGLE STREET 5239 (east side)

The Duke of Wellington Public House SU 4111 3/57 14.2.69

II

2. C13 and C15, restored in 1962-3. The foundations and cellars are C13 and are the remains of a house built circa 1220 by Benedict Ace, one of the earliest known Mayors of Southampton who was Mayor between 1237 and 1245. The French raid of 1338 seriously damaged the house. In about 1494 the remains were incorporated into the present building by the brewer Rowland Johnson and named the Bere House. The name was changed after the Battle of Waterloo when it became a public house. Two storeys exposed square framed timber-framing with plaster infill on stone base the top storeys oversail. Old tiled roof. Two C18 windows on first floor facing street. Modern bar front to ground floor.

Listing NGR: SU4189011197

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135749
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01673/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Goodall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].