CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1092980
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1092980.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 19:23:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Ellisfield
National Grid Reference:
SU 63866 45892

Details

SU 64 NE ELLISFIELD CHURCH LANE 15/33 26.4.57 Church of St Martin

II*

Originally C13, but a full restoration of 1870 masks the early structure; a tower was added in 1884. Red tile roof. Flint walling with stone dressings; filled lancet on the south side of the chancel, small lancet at the east end of the nave on the north side, otherwise restoration features (stepped buttresses and windows). Tower of 3 stages, with crenellated parapet, bands, plinth, diagonal stepped buttresses. Within, there are stone brackets (for statues) and the east wall, a cill of a piscina, a plain octagonal C13 font with C17 wood cover, C17 furniture, anointed Royal Coat of Arms of George III, and floor slabs in the nave of dates around 1700. Arch-braced timber roof, and a small door opening which is probably Norman. There is a brick south porch (now a vestry).

Listing NGR: SU6392445914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138592
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12467/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Washington. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].