This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1093338



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hurstbourne Tarrant

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139835

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/63 Rookery Farmhouse 2012 60 (Formerly listed as The Rookery)


Georgian house, associated with William Cobbett. 1776. Brick and tile. Symmetrical front (south-east) of 2 storeys, 3 windows. Hipped roof, with moulded brick eaves having carved dentils. Walls of blue headers with flush red dressings; quoins, vertical panels containing the windows, projecting 1st floor band, stepped plinth. Sashes in exposed frames, triple except for centre. Doorway with moulded canopy with panelled soffit, carved brackets, architrave, with panelled door (the upper ½ glazed), and a single step. The side elevations have Flemish bond with blue headers. The rear elevation has horizontal flint panels, the projecting south side containing similar features but the other parts being altered; a low wing at the north side has been raised to 2 storeyed level with a flat roof. This wing has a brick incised A.H. 1776; the front boundary wall has a brick incised WC 1825 (said to have been carved by William Cobbett). The interior has many plain original features, including a staircase, panelled doors in architraves, dado panelling, and a corner cupboard.

Listing NGR: SU3823553094

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 38164 53083


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093338 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:19:27.

End of official listing