This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1093668



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Baddesley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 141132

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NORTH BADDESLEY FLEXFORD ROAD SU 42 SW 4/16 Church of St John the Baptist 29.5.57


Parish church. Of nave, chancel C15, west tower and west wall of 1674, C19 north vestry, restoration of 1878 by G G Scott. The chancel was rebuilt to the same width as the nave, to produce the present single cell church, with south porch and west tower. Walls of flint and stone rubble to the nave, stone rubble to the chancel, brickwork in English bond to the tower and west end of nave, with lower parts having large stone quoins and bands of flint, vestry walls of flint with stone dressing, two massive stepped buttresses at the west end (north and south walls) of the church, of brickwork above a stone base. Tile roof. C14 and C15 coupled traceried windows, with three cusped lights to the C15 east window; one Victorian copy, and a C18 casement lighting the gallery. C15 style C17 porch, with a wood arcade on massive side walls, and a moulded stone south door. The tower is crenellated, with narrow openings to the bell stage, and a stone plaque above the small west window with raised figures 1674 and initials S T (Simon Tredgo) and T C (Thomas Compton). Interior: wood barrel vault to the chancel, which has a medieval (Hospitallers) altar tomb, a Tuscan monument (of 1620, John More) placed diagonally, a small painting by Annibale Caracci, and a wood screen of 1602, with lower panels and balustered open rails above. Early C17 panelled pulpit with octagonal tester, C14 octagonal Purbeck font, C18 west gallery with C20 panelled front: above the doorway is a Royal Coat of Arms (G3R) of 1806. From c1160 to 1536 the church belonged to the Knights Hospitallers.

Listing NGR: SU4046020644

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 40258 20862


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 05:52:29.

End of official listing