CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1093974
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, FORMER A32

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093974.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Jul-2020 at 12:58:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, FORMER A32

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
East Hampshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Chawton
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 70791 37033

Details

SU 73 NW CHAWTON FORMER A32 (OFF)

559/2/26 Church of St. Nicholas

31.7.63 II*

Parish church. 1871, by Sir Arthur Blomfield; earlier chancel. Flint walls and tiled roof. A medieval church, with many alterations, was substantially destroyed by a fire in 1871, and replaced by the present building which incorporates part of the old chancel. Early English style with Geometrical tracery. Nave of 4 bays with north aisle, chancel with north vestry, and a tower south of the west bay of the nave. The roof of the nave extends over the aisle, with gables to 2 of the bays; the chancel and vestry have lower roofs. The walls are of flint with Bath stone dressings, stepped buttresses and plinth, windows of coupled cusped lancets are of Geometrical form: tall coupled west windows below a triangular window, all under one hood mould. The tower is slender, with corner pinnacles, crenellated parapet, and thin stepped corner buttresses, a south-east stair turret, the ground floor acting as an open porch. Inside, there are Early English details and Victorian Gothic furnishings. From the old church there are several wall monuments (of 1723,1737,1802 and 1841) and an imposing classical monument of 1679, in the chancel, to Sir Richard Knight, showing a recumbent figure in white marble resting on a Table Tomb, with a background panel within a framework of Corinthian Order, surmounted bya shield. There is a reredos triptych by CF. Bodley, with a Crucifixion (c1600 by a Netherlands painter) flanked by panels, each containing 2 figures of saints. Rood screen by CF. Bodley with carved wooden Crucifix. C18 Communion rail Stained glass by Kemp. Nave pews replaced in C20. Nave roof is of hammerbeam type with arch braces on large brackets. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.163. 31.7.64

Listing NGR: SU7087637028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
142293
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 163

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13885/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neil Macintosh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].