HINTON AMPNER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1095121
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
HINTON AMPNER HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HINTON AMPNER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:00:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
HINTON AMPNER HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Bramdean and Hinton Ampner
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 59639 27483

Details

SU 52 NE BRAMDEAN HINTON PARK

5/24 Hinton Ampner House 5.12.55 (formerly listed under Hinton Ampner) GV II

Medium size country house. Circa 1790, rebuilt c1875 and in 1937 by Trenwith Wells and Lord Wellesley for Ralph Dutton, now Lord Sherbourne. Brick with blue headers, plain tile roof. 9 bay by 5 bay main block with service ranges on right end. 2 storey, centre with attic and cellars, 9 bay. 3 wide central bays with slightly projecting side bays, and stone quoins to all angles. Central 6-panel double door in stone pilastered doorcase with open pediment containing armorial cartouche, in projecting porch with stone quoins. Above it venetian window in rubbed brick head with keystone. Other windows 12-pane sashes. 1st floor and eaves string courses. Brick papapet with stone coping and urns at corners. 2-light dormers with flat roofs to central part. Hipped 2-span roof with symmetrical stacks behind ridge front ridge either side of central bays. Interior badly damaged by fire in 1960, but Adam ceiling in dining room (from Berkeley Square) and 3 c1800 chimney pieces in drawing room and library survived. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; p 294.

Listing NGR: SU5963427485

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145365
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 294

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/15202/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].