THE PUBLIC LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1095414
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, JEWRY STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095414.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-May-2021 at 17:12:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PUBLIC LIBRARY, JEWRY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 48019 29763

Details

JEWRY STREET 1. 1833 (West Side) The Public Library SU 4829 NW 3/139 24.3.50. II* 2. Completed 1838. O B Carter, Architect. Street front 1 storey. Central projecting portico with 4 Tuscan stone columns on flight of stone steps, with symmetrical wings and angle pavilions of yellow stock bricks on stone plinth, with moulded stone string at springing of window arches, large rusticated stone quoins, wide flat bracketed eaves cornice. Similar treatment to pediment over central portico Above the portico is a square bell turret with brick base, stone string and corner Doric stone pilasters (painted) crowned with wide eaves cornice, similar to main building, with wooden painted louvres on each side. All roofs of slate. Building 1+3+2+3+1 windows with doorway in centre. Windows to wings and pavilions have arched heads with radiating bars. Those in wings evidently altered, and stone string at springing cut away. Formerly a Corn Exchange. This building has very strong character and is reminiscent of Smirke's designs. The whole restored to its original external appearance in 1965, but interior completely re-modelled.

Listing NGR: SU4800729640

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
144660
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/14570/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].