TICHBORNE HOUSE AND CHAPEL OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1095940
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
Tichborne House and Chapel of St Margaret, Tichborne Park, Tichborne

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 06:16:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
Tichborne House and Chapel of St Margaret, Tichborne Park, Tichborne

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Tichborne
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 57341 30383

Details

SU5730 10/21

TICHBORNE, TICHBORNE PARK, Tichborne House and St Margaret Chapel

(Formerly listed as Tichborne House)

5.12.55

GV II

Small country house and attached chapel. Circa 1803-5. On cut stone plinth colourwashed brick, with stone porch, chapel and service wing rendered, slate and tile roofs. 7 bay by 5 bay block of house, with chapel attached to rear at centre and passage on each floor on inner side of chapel to link house to service wing, attached to side of chapel, running parallel to house. Front 2 storeys on basement 7 bays with 2 bays at either end projecting slightly. To 3 central bays 4 columns Greek Doric portice with triglyph entablature on rusticated stone plinth, with steps either side. C19 6-panel double door with fanlight and panelled reveal. Either side a tall 18-pane sash. In outer 2 bays a similar sash in arched recess and 1st floor string course. 7 small 18-pane sashes with wide panes and rubbed brick arches with relieving arches over. Small brick cornice with blocking course and large stone coping with Soane-like urns at corners and stone cartouche of family crest in centre. Roof low pitched hipped. Interior of house early C19 largely remodelled. Chapel has 3 large round headed windows on exposed side with simple cornice and parapet above and hipped tiled roof behind. End has off centre castellated porch with round stair turret in corner beside it. Inside plain walls with coved cornice and geometrical pattern ribbed ceiling over altar. Altar rails C17 brought back from Italy in 1688. Altar table C17 but upper part of columns and pediment later replacement.



Listing NGR: SU5734130383

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145538
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].