BRENTFORD FOUNTAIN WESTERN INTERNATIONAL MARKET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1096071

Date first listed: 29-Apr-2003

Statutory Address: BRENTFORD FOUNTAIN WESTERN INTERNATIONAL MARKET, HAYES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRENTFORD FOUNTAIN WESTERN INTERNATIONAL MARKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096071 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 11:53:05.

Location

Statutory Address: BRENTFORD FOUNTAIN WESTERN INTERNATIONAL MARKET, HAYES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hounslow (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 10830 78667

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



787/0/10164 HAYES ROAD 29-APR-03 Southall Brentford Fountain, Western Internatio nal Market

II



Drinking Fountain. 1877. Grey granite, cast iron railings and lamp standards. It takes the form of an octagonal spire standing on a tall middle section, square in plan, with a cornice and a gabled niche to each side, within which is a trefoil-headed panel with a shell motif to the top. Projecting bowls to each side. Engaged columns to each corner. This stands on a tall base with steps to east and west, and lamp standards to each corner: these are inscribed GEO SMITH & Co SUN FOUNDRY GLASGOW. Decorative Gothic Revival railings run along the north and south sides between posts, with quatrefoil bosses to the centres of X-framed panels. The east niche bears the original inscription which reads: 'The gift of Mrs Wheeler / the widow of / SAMUEL WHEELER Esq / formerly of / Barrow Hills Chertsey Surrey / and / Brunswick Terrace Brighton / 1877 / erected by the / Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough / Association. Within the west nice is a bronze plaque erected by the London Borough of Hounslow commemorating the opening of the Western International Market here in 1974. HISTORY: the fountain originally stood a short distance to the north-west of Kew Bridge, within Brentford Market. It was unveiled by HRH Princess Mary, Duchess of Teck, in July 1877. The fountain had been offered to the Metropolitan Board of Works for erection in central London along the Embankment, but the MBW declined; the donor was pleased to agree to the location at Kew Bridge, where it remained even after the Brentford Market was relocated to ease traffic congestion. It was legally adopted by the Brentford UDC in 1899. The fountain arrived at its present location in June 1974; the horse troughs formerly attached to the north and south sides were discarded in the process. Despite having been relocated, the fountain is a largely intact and unusually handsome example of the type. It formerly stood as a prominent Brentford landmark until its translation to Southall. SOURCES: Middlesex Chronicle, 28 July 1877; James Marshall, 'History of the Great West Road' (1995), 12.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 490037

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marshall, J, History of the Great West Road, (1995), 12
'Middlesex Chronicle' in 28 July, (1877)

End of official listing