ENTRANCE GATES, SHELTERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO WHITLEY BAY CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1096119
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
ENTRANCE GATES, SHELTERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO WHITLEY BAY CEMETERY, THE LINKS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096119.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:11:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
ENTRANCE GATES, SHELTERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS TO WHITLEY BAY CEMETERY, THE LINKS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3465974492

Details



1022/0/10038 THE LINKS 09-MAY-03 Entrance Gates, Shelters, Railings and Boundary Walls to Whitley Bay Cemetery

GV II



Gates, shelters, railings and walls. Designed by Edward Cratney of Newcastle. 1913. Coursed grey/blue granite with ashlar coping and wrought iron. Tall square granite gatepiers are topped with moulded ashlar pyramidal caps. Large double inner wrought iron gates are supported by square inner wrought iron piers with the same square lattice construction as the gates themselves. The arched outer shelters or covered entrances at either side have plain walls with ashlar coping and flat roofs. Each shelter has a double-canted entrance arch to front and back with similar square pattern wrought iron gates to the outer arches. Flanking low curved walls topped with iron railings form semi-circular quadrant in front of the entrance. Outer corners marked by square granite piers with moulded caps. To south a high granite wall with ashlar coping stretches along The Links, whilst to north a lower granite wall with railings above stretches along The Links and around the site of the cemetery.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490085
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].