Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 18:21:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 27270 22027


PARISH OF BRETBY BRIZLINCOTE LANE SK 22 SE 2/3 (West Side) 19-1-67 Brizlincote Hall Farmhouse (formerly listed as Brizlincote Hall [House only]) GV II* House. Built in 1707 for the Second Earl of Chesterfield. Red brick and sandstone ashlar, hipped plain tile roof with two massive red brick and ashlar stacks. Chamfered stone plinth, projecting stone quoins, moulded first floor band and moulded dentilled second floor band. Segmental pediments across the full width of each facade. Rectangular plan. Two storeys and attics. North elevation of five symmetrical bays. Semi- basement with four windows. Flight of five semi-circular steps to central doorway with moulded architrave and swan-neck pediment on moulded consoles repeated at right angles against the wall. Half glazed door. Inscribed above NON IGNARA MALI MISERIS SUCCURRERE DISCO AD 1714. (Not ignorant of ill, I learn to help the unhappy). To the left, two glazing bar sashes in moulded architraves. Two similar architraves to the right, one with a blind window, the second with a cross window casement. The first floor has five windows in moulded architraves with alternating segmental and triangular pediments. Cross window casements in all but the left window which is blind. Within the pediment a central blind window with triangular pediment, flanked by glazing bar sashes in moulded architraves with swan neck pediments, flanked in turn by blind circular windows. Similar five bay south elevation with mostly C19 casement lights. Above the doorway the inscription HOMO LUPUS AD 1714. (Man is a Wolf to Man). Two bay east elevation with C19 single bar sashes in C18 moulded architraves. Two similar above, in pedimented architraves and two circular windows in the pediment, one of them blind. Lower C19 and C20 wing to west not of special interest. Interior: Brick vaulted basement service rooms. Large four-centred arched fireplace in what was probably the kitchen. Circular splays to the windows. Low ground floor rooms, mostly altered. The hall has a huge four-centred arched fireplace bay. One room has an Adam style chimneypiece. From the hall a door opens to a plain dogleg staircase. The attic staircase has a balustrade with balusters that look C20. The first floor is treated as a piano nobile and all the rooms have bolection moulded panelling, with doors to match. The cornice remains in one room, double, with egg and dart. The attic contains four boxed-in lead cisterns which drain off the water from the roof.

Listing NGR: SK2727022027


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16454/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].