CHURCH OF ST WYSTAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1096486
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WYSTAN, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WYSTAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:39:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WYSTAN, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Bretby
National Grid Reference:
SK 29412 23277

Details

PARISH OF BRETBY THE GREEN SK 22 SE 2/10 (North West Side) Church of St Wystan II Parish church. Rebuilt in 1877. Irregular coursed sandstone and timber framing to porch and bell tower. Plain tile roofs with decorative ridge cresting. Coped gables with gableted kneelers and cross finials. Chamfered plinth. Nave with bell tower, south porch, chancel, north nave aisle north chapel and north vestry. The south elevation has a gabled timber porch on stone plinth, rebuilt in 1966. Plain pointed arched inner doorway with single chamfer and hoodmould. Plank door with wrought iron hinges. To the left a 2-light window with flat arch and panel tracery, returned hoodmould and segmental relieving arch. To the right of the porch a similar single light window and a 2-light window. The south side of the chancel has four steps with low side walls up to a four-centred arched priests doorway with moulded surround under returned rectangular hoodmould. Decorative cross in a recessed panel above. To the right a round-arched single light window. 3-light east window with panel tracery. Pair of tiny ventilation lancets above. The north side of the chancel has one plain rectangular window. Gabled north vestry has a 2-light trefoil headed window to east and a four-centred arched doorway to the north. A chimney stack rises from the gable. Gabled north chapel has a 3-light window with panel tracery. Lean-to north aisle has two triplets of trefoil headed windows and a 2-light window to west with triangular head. The west elevation of the nave has a 2-light window with reticulation unit, flanked by heavy buttresses using masonry from the previous church. Triplet of tiny lancets above. Rising from the nave roof is a square bell tower with tapering sides and pyramid roof. The lower part shingled, the upper part timber framed, with four trefoil-headed louvred openings to each side. Interior: Three bay north arcade with octagonal piers and moulded arches. Moulded chancel arch, the inner order on corbels with ball flower. The nave roof is a panelled pointed tunnel vault of trefoil section, with castellated tie beams and wall plates. Canted panelled chancel roof. Octagonal font with quatrefoils in the panels. Tiled floors and sumptuous tiled sanctuary with mosaic reredos which has as its centrepiece a C15 Flemish Style painting, a copy of Rogier Van Der Weyden's Deposition set against a naturalistic landscape background derived from other sources. Perp Style parclose screens to the north chapel. Pews, reading desk, pulpit, lectern, communion rails etc, all of c1877. Stained glass: in the east window 1866 by A Gibbs. Sanctuary north and south windows 1868 by Cox & Son. Nave south windows, late C19 with pale colouring. On the chancel south wall a brass to the Ninth Earl of Chesterfield 1866. Organ at the west end by Nicholson & Lord of Walsall.



Listing NGR: SK2941223277

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82815
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02677/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Bates. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].