Church of St Wilfrid

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1096559
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Wilfrid, Church Lane

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Wilfrid
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096559.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:26:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Wilfrid, Church Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Barrow upon Trent
National Grid Reference:
SK 35293 28385

Details

SK 32 NE 4/5

PARISH OF BARROW-UPON-TRENT CHURCH LANE (north side) Church of St Wilfrid

10.11.67

GV I Parish church. Mid C13, C14, C15 and early C19. Coursed, squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Lead and plain-tile roofs, with coped gables. West tower, aisled nave, south porch and chancel.

West tower of two stages divided by a string course. Diagonal buttresses to west and angle buttresses to north and south, with five set-offs. Tall lower stage with chamfered plinth. The west elevation has a doorway with chamfered surround and plank door. Five-light window of c1300 above, with intersecting tracery and a cusped lozenge at the top. Hoodmould. The lower stage is blind to the other elevations. The upper stage has C14 two-light bell openings in each direction, with reticulated tracery. C15 battlements and four stumpy pinnacles. Gabled north aisle has a thirteen-light west window with intersecting tracery. Angle buttresses and one intermediate buttress. North doorway with moulded surround, hoodmould and plank door. To the left are two three-light windows with intersecting tracery. Three-light east window with reticulated tracery.

The north side of the chancel has a single chamfered priests doorway with hoodmould and plank door with decorative iron hinges. Curious low pointed window to right. C20 brick buttress in the angle with the aisle. The east elevation of the chancel has a shallow gable, thin buttresses and a broad four-centred arched window with chamfered surround, probably C18.

The south side of the chancel has a low single-chamfered round-arched priests doorway with hoodmould. To the left is a three-light flat-arched window with cusped ogee lights. Shallow gabled south aisle has a three-light east window with reticulated tracery. Diagonal buttresses and one intermediate buttress. The south side has two early C19 lancets with chamfered surrounds. Similar west window. Gabled south porch with broad pointed doorway. C20 plank doors. Diagonal buttresses with two set-offs. Round-arched niche above with moulded surround.

To the west and east are a pair of small chamfered lancets. Clerestory of three two-light windows with flat arches and the remains of the traceried arched lights of the C15 clerestory.

INTERIOR: three bay arcades, that to the north mid C13 with compound piers with shafts and shaft rings and moulded capitals. Much restored in the C19. The south arcade is C14 and has octagonal piers and abaci. Both have double chamfered arches. Unmoulded tower arch with an inner chamfered order on corbels. Double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner order dying into the imposts. In the south aisle is a round-arched tomb recess with a C14 alabaster effigy of a priest. Moulded hoodmould, to the left, a trefoil-headed recessed panel with moulded surround and traces of painting.

Squints from the aisles into the chancel that to the north forms a passageway from the aisle to the chancel and is lit by its own window. Plain octagonal font.

Monuments: tablet to Elizabeth Milward +1610 (north aisle). Plain tablet to John Bancroft +1803 (north aisle) by W Barton of Derby. Elizabeth Mozeley +1883 (nave) by R C Lomas of Derby. Richard Sale +1808 (nave) by Hall of Derby. Much damaged tomb chest with incised slab. C19 alabaster pulpit. Open backed C19 pews. Painted lozenge hatchment.

Listing NGR: SK3529428388

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82691
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].