CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1096581
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096581.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:40:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sutton on the Hill
National Grid Reference:
SK 23744 34239

Details

SK 23 SW PARISH OF SUTTON ON THE HILL CHURCH LANE 3/51 (North Side) 19.1.67 Church of St Michael GV II*

Parish church. C14, 1841 and rebuilt 1863. Ashlar sandstone with stone dressings, plinth and continuous sill stringcourse to nave. Graduated slate roof with crested ridge tiles, ridge crosses and moulded stone coped gables on gableted kneelers. Western steeple, nave with north aisle and lower chancel, north vestry and south porch. Three stage western tower has stepped full height set back buttresses and deep chamfered plinth. Pointed chamfered doorcase to south and central 2-light pointed window with cusped tracery to west, both set under dark red, stone relieving arches. Above each opening is a single central trefoil window with hood under similar relieving arch, southern one with clockface over. Third stage, slightly recessed, with chamfered string to base and pairs of chamfered louvred lancets with tracery trefoils to tops, under hoods and relieving arches, to all sides. Above, a moulded corbel table and large broached spire with gableted lucarnes to four sides and ball finial to top. North elevation of tower has a projecting staircase turret. North aisle has four C19 2-light windows, with quatrefoils over trefoil headed lights, and hoodmoulds over, also buttresses to either end and between the windows. Beyond, to east, north vestry has two pairs of adjoining trefoil headed lancets with buttress between. East elevation has diagonal buttresses to either side of chancel and central 3-light window. South chancel elevation has central pointed chamfered C19 doorcase with adjoining buttress to east, and beyond a Cl9 2-light pointed traceried window with hood, Similar window to west of door. South wall of nave has two large pointed C19 3-light windows with large quatrefoils over trefoil headed lights and a single lancet with quatrefoil over trefoil headed light beyond south porch to west. South porch has deep moulded pointed arch on nook shafts with waterleaf capitals and simple double chamfered pointed inner door. Interior has much restored C14 four bay north arcade with double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal columns and moulded capitals, chamfered hoods with carved labelstops over. C19 pointed chancel arch with moulded soffit support by columnar corbels with waterleaf capitals. Tall narrow double chamfered tower arch, probably original, but much restored. Also double chamfered arch through from chancel to north organ bay. All roofs C19, as are the choir stalls with fleur de lys poppyheads, the octagonal stone font with decorated tracery to sides of bowl, the wooden screen across the tower arch and the nave pews. Marble pulpit with cusped panelling and the similar reredos are probably C20. To north side of chancel arch is a large stone statue of Joan of Arc, which is also C20. To north side of chancel is a magnificent re-set C17 wall tomb with segmental headed niche, topped by achievements, in which are various plaques and inscribed cartouches to the Sleigh family and to the base of which is a painted coffin. The base has semi-circular niches with painted coats of arms in and above two inscribed panels, dated 1634 and 1679. Nave has one marble and slate memorial to William Eaton of 1858 and various C20 memorials. East window and two south nave windows have stained glass of c1863.

Listing NGR: SK2374434239

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82638
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/15957/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].