CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1096596
Date first listed:
14-Oct-1981
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096596.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:49:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 29201 20655

Details

CHURCH STREET 1. 5174 Newhall (south side) Church of St John SK 22 SE 1/1 II GV

2. 1820-30. (Pre 1836). Red brick church standing in former centre of Newhall village facing green called 'Market Place'. Short west tower, aisless nave and chancel. Gothic style. Tower has west door, window cloak, belfry window and crenellated parapet. Angle buttresses carried up to small square 'towers' surmounted by broach spires. Nave has 4 windows all with deeply splayed brick arches and dripmoulds. Large east window to chancel. Inside, panelled west gallery and doors with Gothic ribbed tracery. Chandeliers. Wall monuments include one to Rev Joseph Clay 'one of the founders of this church' (died 1836). Open wooden screen of 1924.

Listing NGR: SK2920120655

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82572
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10396/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alfred John Dyson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].