GRESLEY OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1096597
Date first listed:
14-Oct-1981
Statutory Address:
GRESLEY OLD HALL, GRESLEY WOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRESLEY OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096597.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Apr-2020 at 01:16:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRESLEY OLD HALL, GRESLEY WOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 28928 18584

Details

GRESLEY WOOD ROAD 1. 5174 Church Gresley (south-west side) Gresley Old Hall SK 21 NE 3/12

II

2. 1664 (Datestone over door) but possibly incorporating C16 work. (Sir Christopher Alleyne, who acquired the site of Church Gresley Priory in 1556, is reputed to have used the stone from this to build Gresley Hall). A large house now used as Miners' Welfare. Set in remnant of park to south of junction between Gresley Wood Road and George Street. Red brick with stone dressings and tiled roof. Four stacks (one on ridge) with large corbelled cornices. L-shaped plan. Front part of 2½ storeys. Unusual Flemish gables to crosswing; each surmounted by small pediment. Two dormers break through eaves of main part. Fenestration, all modern casements set in stone surrounds under hoodmoulds, but some of stonework, and windows, likely to be C19 additions. Original stone doorcase with lintel and datestone. Higher rear wing of 3½ storeys wutith similar fenestration, lower 2 storey wing adjoins this. Interior: Early Cl8 staircase with turned balusters on solid string. Some late C17 moulding second floor and earlier C17 stops on beams. One wine cellar remains. Cock lofts remain in attics. (Various mid C20 additions not of special interest).

Listing NGR: SK2892818584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82575
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/03833/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].