This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1097847



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Exminster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 85521

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/56 Spurfield


Rectory, now residential home for handicapped people. 1887-9 by J L Pearson for Revd.Stephen Willoughby Lawley; the contractors were Luscombe and Son.

Redbrick in English bond, some tile-hanging, and plastered and shorn timber- framed gables. Steeply pitched gabled plain tile roof with plastered deeply coved eaves. Tall brick axial and lateral stacks with thin shafts and corbelled brick cornices.

Late Victorian 'Old English' - 'Queen Anne' style.

Plan: Irregular approximately square double-depth plan with a central entrance and stair hall at the front and set back to the left a relatively small room which may have been the study. To the right of the entrance hall a large drawing room behind which is the third principal room, probably the dining room. At the centre at the back the kitchen with service rooms to its left extending into a single storey wing behind.

Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical elevations. The south entrance front has a projecting gabled centre, tile hung on the first floor with a large plastered gable above and a round-arched doorway recessed to the left with stone voissoirs and large shaped timber brackets under the tile hanging and a 3-light window in a bay to the right; above there is a large 6-light window on the first floor. Set back to the left a tall 2 storey and attic, one bay section with a half-hipped roof, 4-light windows on each floor. To the right of the central gabled bay a tall lateral stack with a set-off and a 2 storey tile-hung canted bay window to its right.

The right hand east elevation has a wide 2-storey tile-hung canted bay to the right with a large jettied timber-frame gable above on 2 pairs of shaped brackets; and to the left a 4-light window on the ground and first floors with a large dormer above with a broad tile-hung gable and deeply coved eaves.

The rear (north) elevation has a timber-framed gabled dormer at the centre to the left of which is a massive lateral brick stack and to the right is a half hipped roof over the attic window.

The left (west) elevation has an asymmetrical arrangement of small windows and 2 lateral stacks rising sheer from the top of the wall with a tile-hung gable between; to the left, at the back of the house, the small single storey hipped roof service wing.

All the original windows survive; these are mostly ovolo-moulded mullion-transom windows, but only retaining their glazing bars in their top lights. The original round-headed front door has cover strips and wrought iron hinges.

Interior: The entrance hall has a polished red stone chimney-piece with 2 pairs of tapered pilasters and a cornice; and a large timber screen with debased Ionic bulbous columns and carved spandrels; one of the columns is the newel of the open-well staircase at the back of the hall. It has a balustrade with barleysugar twist balusters. The doorframes to the principal rooms have pedimented overdoors with volutes to their friezes. The front right hand drawing room has a C18 style marble chimneypiece.

Sources: Quiney A, John Loughborough Pearson (1979) page 252. Building News, 1887, 53599.

Listing NGR: SX9438787565

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Quiney, A, John Loughborough Pearson, (1979), 252
'Building News' in Building News, (1887)

National Grid Reference: SX 94387 87565


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1097847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 05:12:25.

End of official listing