SIDMOUTH MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1098213
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
SIDMOUTH MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of SIDMOUTH MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098213.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 17:30:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
SIDMOUTH MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Upottery
National Grid Reference:
ST2012906503

Details

UPOTTERY ST 20 NW 7/130 22.2.55

RAWRIDGE

Sidmouth Memorial Fountain

GV II

Water fountain. Dated 1915 in memory of Viscount Sidmouth. Local stone and flint rubble. The fountain is set back a little from the roadside and faces north-west. The fountain is set in a round-headed niche with a gabled top. The lead water spout is shaped like a dolphin and the water pours into an C18 lead cistern, the front of which is ornamented and includes the initials BH with the date 1774. Above the water spout is a stone plaque inscribed as follows: "This fountain is erected in lasting memory of my husband Gerald, 4th Viscount Sidmouth. The welfare of his tenants was his constant thought, and his last care was to give them this supply of pure water. He died on March 25th 1915". Either side of the niche tall quadrant walls with rusticated crennellation on the wall tops curve forward to square terminal posts with pyramid caps. Each wall contains a round-back niche with low segmental arch head. The fountain has been maintained in working order and is now activated by a C20 foot button. It also forms part of an attractive group of listed buildings which make up the scattered hamlet of Rawridge.

Listing NGR: ST2012906503

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
86685
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12048/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].