MOHUNS OTTERY GATEHOUSE AND FRONT GARDEN WALLS APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1098265

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: MOHUNS OTTERY GATEHOUSE AND FRONT GARDEN WALLS APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOHUNS OTTERY GATEHOUSE AND FRONT GARDEN WALLS APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098265 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:25:28.

Location

Statutory Address: MOHUNS OTTERY GATEHOUSE AND FRONT GARDEN WALLS APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Luppitt

National Grid Reference: ST1893005553

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUPPITT ST 10 NE 6/52 Mohuns Ottery Gatehouse and front - garden walls approximately 5 metres south of Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse GV II* Ruins of gatehouse and adjoining garden walls. The gatehouse is mid C16 and built by Sir Peter Carew, the walls are probably mid C19 (contemporary with the 1868 rebuild of the farmhouse). Local stone and flint rubble with Beerstone ashlar dressings and detail. Only the bottom stage remains of what must have been a 2 or 3-storey rectangular building on north-south axis. Each end (north and south) are carriageway arches. They are 4-centred arches with moulded surrounds and spandrels superbly carved with heraldic devices with Renaissance style foliage and putti and hoodmoulds. The front doorway is flanked by late C19 cream-coloured brick buttresses. The side walls are blind although there is a patch of blocking on the west side which might represent a blocked doorway. A mass of masonry against the east wall may represent a stair. The gatehouse is roofless. The path from the gatehouse to the farmhouse is lined by mid C19 low stone rubble walls and there is a mounting block on the outside of the west wall. From each side of the front of the gatehouse are similar garden boundary walls. This gatehouse was probably built by Sir Peter Carew (1512 - 75) who died on the Mary Rose.

Listing NGR: ST1893005553

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 86605

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing