This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1099148



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Malling and Larkfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 179318

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


EAST MALLING & LARKFIELD CHURCH WALK TQ 75 NW (east side) 8/144 25.8.59 Church of St James


Church. C12, C14, rebuilt circa 1450-1500. Ragstone with some early materials, tiles and tufa, re-used in chancel. West tower, nave with aisles and chancel. Tower: 3 stages with angle buttresses, not original. Embattled with single pointed-arched belfrey openings and string below belfrey stage. Clock above tall west window. Norman windows to north and south (blocked). Clerestory nave and chancel. Transeptal chapels originally lengthened into aisles, early C14 windows to north, the original chancel windows. C19/C20 chancel east window. INTERIOR: 3 bay aisle arcades, showing lengthening of transeptal chapels to become aisles in rhythm of east arches then short piece of wall followed by pair of west arches. Octagonal piers, double-chamfered arches. Fittings: Sanctuary panelling, early C17. Font area: Early C16, with doors. Tall panelled base with tall conical cap of pierced tracery. Pierced cresting to base of birds attacking fruit. Octagonal stone font. Stained glass: same early C14 glass in north aisle. Monuments: Thomas Selby, d. 1479. Brass. Richard Adams, do 1522. Brass. Richard Mannyng, d. 1611. Alabaster hanging monument, with figure with hand on skull. Thomas Twisden, d. 1683. Tablet. Jane Sympson, d. 1690. Baroque tablet with pediment and scrolls. Jane Twisden, d. 1779 (?). Tablet. Sir John Twisden, d. 1810. Monument with figure of woman leaning on urn by Thomas Assiter of Maidstone.

Listing NGR: TQ7024357115

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 70294 57080


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 06:40:43.

End of official listing