CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1099254
Date first listed:
27-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099254.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:29:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Moreton on Lugg
National Grid Reference:
SO 50481 45657

Details

MORETON-ON-LUGG CP MORETON-ON-LUGG SO 54 NW 3/62 Church of St Andrew 27.1.67

GV II

Parish church. Largely 1867 reconstruction by W H Knight, with internal chancel decoration by A Salviati 1887, remains of a C12 window in south wall of chancel, C15 south arcade, roofs of nave and south aisle possibly of C15. Coursed and squared sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings; stone slate roof. Nave with south-west tower, south aisle and north porch, chancel. Nave: north wall with two 2-light windows with quatrefoil in roundel and moulded label to left and similar window to right of gabled south porch; pointed arched head to doorway with attached shafts and decorative capitals, moulded label. South aisle with two C19 trefoil-headed lights and one re-set late C13 east window of one trefoil-headed light. South-west tower of three stages with octagonal broach spire; 2-light openings to bell stage with roundel and decorative attached shafts and moulded label. Chancel north wall window with pair of trefoil-headed lights with trefoil in roundel to each. Three trefoil- headed lights to east window with three trefoils in roundel set in larger roundel above; remains of semi-circular headed C12 light in south wall. Interior: trussed rafter roof to nave possibly of C15 date; pent roof to south aisle of three-bays with moulded members; embattled wall-plate and curved braces spring- ing from moulded wooden corbels. Ceiled and decorated roof to chancel of C19. Chancel walls and reredos completely covered in mosaic decoration by Salviati; with mosaic angels in nave of a later date, 1899. C15 screen now at west end of church at organ chamber of eight single-light divisions closed at lower half and open to upper part with cinquefoiled ogee-headed lights with tracery, moulded mullions, and moulded cornice with vine ornament. (RCHM Vol II, p 147; BoE, p 256).

Listing NGR: SO5048145657

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154247
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 147
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 256

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08124/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jennifer McKirdy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].