CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1099258

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Mar-2019 at 05:18:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Brampton Abbotts

National Grid Reference: SO 60096 26411

Details

BRAMPTON ABBOTTS CP BRAMPTON ABBOTTS SO 62 NW 4/1 Church of St Michael 25.2.66 GV II*

Parish church. C12 nave and chancel, C14 and C16 alterations; west wall repaired in 1686, restored in 1848 and 1857 and during early C20, when bell turret largely rebuilt, north vestry added and south porch rebuilt. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof C20, tiled pyramidal roof to bell turret with shingle cladding. Nave with bell turret and south porch, chancel and north vestry. Nave: raised verges; C19 trefoil-headed light to left and square-headed C14 window largely restored with three trefoil- headed lights to right of partly timber-framed gabled porch retaining some C14 timber; C12 inner semi-circular headed doorway with plain tympanum, attached shafts to jambs with mutilated scalloped capitals, inner order is shouldered and supports tympanum; square plan bell turret occupying western bay of nave with pyramidal roof. Chancel: raised verges, largely restored C13 trefoil-headed light and C19 square-headed window with four trefoil- headed lights to right; largely restored C12 semi-circular headed light to east end. Interior: three-bay nave, possibly retaining C14 open arch-braced collar roof; late C15 or early C16 chancel arch, two chamfered orders, re-set and widened C12 responds, attached shafts with scalloped capitals to outer western order. Fittings: font C15 octagonal bowl with quatrefoil panels, trumpet-shaped stem with faces. Monuments: brass to John Rudhall, died 1507 and wife with only figure of wife remaining. (BoE, p 80-81; RCHM Vol II, p 23-24).

Listing NGR: SO6009626411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 154260

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 23-24
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 80-81

End of official listing